Our Core Beliefs
We are Charlotte’s Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian and United Methodist campus ministry. Therefore we hold to the historic truths of the Christian faith as taught by the Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian and United Methodist Churches. We have faith in Jesus Christ, because he has faith in us. We strive to be the voice of hope on the college campus. We seek to build an inclusive, non-judgmental, and caring campus ministry.
The mission of Niner United is to help students (see Galatians 6:2) to discover abundant life in Jesus Christ (see John 10:10), by equipping them (see Ephesians 4:12), to live consequential lives of faith (see Ephesians 5:15).
Our Core Values
We have tied ourselves to the story of God found in Jesus, which makes us Christ followers, but we gladly welcome anybody among us regardless of creed, race, sexual orientation, or any other division that we humans like to divide ourselves into. Our hope is that everyone who wanders into our community will taste the Kingdom and come to love and embrace Jesus and his story too.
Our Core Convictions
- We believe that UNC Charlotte doesn’t necessarily need more card-carrying Christians; what UNC Charlotte needs are more people who are living like Jesus.
- We believe that commitment to faith in Jesus isn’t a finish line: it’s the starting line, and the subsequent life of faith is about God’s gracious work to change us from the heart outward.
- We believe that being a Christian ought to mean that you are becoming more courageous and less fearful, more generous and less greedy, more reconciling and less divisive, more inclusive and less exclusive, more social justice oriented and less preachy.
- We believe that there is no one whose life disqualifies him or her from beginning to follow Jesus; or being loved by Jesus.
Our Missional Goals
- For students to seek spiritual growth. We want students to pursue questions through conversations, study, Bible reading, small groups, etc.
- For students to be keenly aware of God, and view God as active and present in their own lives, in the lives of others, and in the world.
- For students to act out of a commitment to faith in Jesus Christ, privately and publically, through regular worship, participation in the campus ministry, and leadership in the campus ministry and beyond.
- For students to make Christian faith a way of life by recognizing God’s call and integrating their beliefs into conversations, decisions, and actions in daily life.
- For students to live lives of service by being involved in caring for others and addressing injustice and immorality.
- For students to reach out to others who are different or in need through prayer, hospitality, conversation and support.
Our Key Distinctions
• We have a theologically educated and ordained pastoral and priestly presence.
• We are dedicated to leadership development and the theological exploration of vocation.
• We are committed to the Eucharistic and experiential practices of worship.
• We are driven toward service, outreach, and mission.
• We offer everyone an inclusive and safe community.
• We are oriented toward social justice and Christian advocacy.
• We are cooperative with the university administration and faculty.
Everything we do at Niner United must support our mission, enhance our beliefs, values, convictions, and goals and be consistent with our context as UNC Charlotte’s ecumenical campus ministry.